Jan 30, 2015

Book Review: Emissary by Thomas Locke

Back Cover: With his twenty-first birthday, Hyam begins a journey that will lead him to his destiny--or his doom.

Hyam has always shown a remarkable ability to master languages, even those left unspoken for a thousand years. But now the shadow of suspicion that was cast upon him as a child prodigy at Long Hall is lengthening, and he must keep his identity hidden--or face annihilation.

As Hyam's mother slips toward death, she implores him to return to Long Hall before he settles down to farm his land. This journey born from duty becomes an impassioned quest for the truth. War is coming swiftly, and Hyam must rely upon his newfound powers and the friends he meets along the way in order to unravel the puzzling past and ensure that he--and the realm--will have a future.

My Review: I don't read enough fantasy. It took me a while to understand what was happening in this novel but once I was immersed in the culture and world Locke created, I couldn't put the book down. Hyam is your typical fantasy hero. He's a farmer who discovers his parents aren't who he believed they were. He is force on a quest to right all wrongs and protect the good from the evil forces gathering in secret places. When I got to the end of this tale, I wanted to start right in on the next book in the series. Unfortunately, I have to wait a year before the next book comes out. Fans of The Lord of the Rings should really enjoy this novel. You can learn more about this novel and the series at Thomas Locke's site.

My Rating:

My Recommendation: I recommend this book to Tolkien fans and readers of fantasy.




Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available at your favourite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're comments are appreciated!